Tuesday, August 23, 2011

A technical hiccup - Switch to Disqus

Jak says hi!

Just wanted to give my lovely [few] followers a heads up, i decided to switch to Disqus for blog comments. I know it's annoying to have another thing to sign up for, but it's super quick and i think it will make it much easier for us to chit chat over blog posts. We will be able to reply to individual comments and you can also adjust your settings to only receive alerts when you are mentioned or when someone replies specifically to your comment.  My favorite part of blogging is interacting with readers and other bloggers, so this just seemed like the next stop to make the process easier. Disqus is popping up everywhere so chances are some of your other daily reads use it too. Any tips from disqus users would be greatly appreciated!!! thanks :)

4 comments:

Jen said...

Good morning, lovely! When you switched to Disqus, did all the comments you'd previously received disappear? I was sad when that happened to me, so I took Disqus off. And I know one person who tried to comment and couldn't because he didn't have Disqus. I was afraid it would keep people from commenting, so I removed Disqus. But now I wish I could chit-chat! I feel like such an unfriendly blogger. Let us know what you think of it after a few days?

<3 jen @ stuffjendid

Feathers & Freckles said...

Ok, so I was getting really frustrated with Disqus and ready to switch back (especially because their tech support is useless) but I have one key piece of advice that I figured out and made me reconsider keeping it. When you log into Disqus to check your comments, be sure you click "Spam" so that any comments marked as spam come up. I had about 10 comments listed as spam that weren't, and I had to approve them to make them visible on my blog. You can then add certain followers to your "whitelist" to be sure they don't get marked as spam commenters in the future.

I think you will like it better, overall. It's so much nicer being able to reply to people individually.

Hope this helps :)

Katie Maye said...

Megan, this helped so much!!! I was getting so aggravated because some comments weren't showing and it turned out they were marked spam. How do you add someone to your whitelist?

Feathers & Freckles said...

If you click 'reply' it will ask you if you'd like to add them to your whitelist and then you just approve it. Glad I could help!!