Wednesday, September 21, 2011

The Last of Summer : Figs







I'm a huge fan of figs. I often plot ways to steal a few off of my neighbor's fig tree. But I'm telling you they must sense me coming because every time I try to strike, all of the figs have mysteriously been plucked. No worries though, I came across these beauties at the market. I snatched them up fast knowing it might be the last time this season I would come across some. I was dying to try this gorgeous recipe I spotted over on L.A. in Bloom. A bbq seemed like the perfect event for baking a Savory Fig Torte..............with prosciutto in the crust mind you. You just cant go wrong with that combo. It was delicious fresh out of the oven BUT even better the next day because I had the genius idea to add goat cheese and a little balsamic reduction drizzled on top. By the way, balsamic reduction is my new jam, I think I'll be adding it to everything. It's so sweet and tart and rich and pretty and EASY! A little balsamic vinegar in a pan, add some red wine, heat until is bubbling (probably medium heat?) When it reaches a syrupy consistency, you're done! It was the perfect addition to this torte. Enjoy!
ps. This recipe calls for 3 ripe figs but it took me way more than that to cover my torte, i guess it just depends on what kind of fogs you use.


FX PhotoStudio Image







Sweet & Savory Fig Prosciutto Torte
Serves 8
Recipe written by Patricia Clark


Ingredients:
2 cups flour
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
2 oz of thinly sliced prosciutto, thinly sliced
3 ripe figs, cut into wedges
2 eggs & 1/2 cup whole milk
1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 tbsp butter
1/3 of a red onion, thinly sliced

Instructions:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees
Line a pyrex baking dish with parchment paper and lightly spray with vegetable oil
Combine flour, sugar, baking powder, salt and nutmeg. Stir well
Add the eggs + milk, butter and oil and stir until the mixture has reached a thick consistency
Mix in the chopped prosciutto
Press the mixture into the lined pan
Layer in the fix wedges (decoratively if you like) and gently press into the base
Arrange the onions in small areas around the pan
Drizzle with 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
Bake for 35 to 40 minutes on the middle rack of your oven
Once slightly cooled, cut into squares and enjoy

0 comments: