Wednesday, September 7, 2011

What I [ate] in Austin

I'm not even going to try to lie, upon return from my little vacay my pants are feeling a little snug. Indulgence was the name of the game and i was determined not to miss a thing. It is just insane the amount of awesome food establishments there are in Austin, and i have to confess that I already have a list going of places I want to try on my next trip there. When we arrived Friday afternoon, we headed to Foodheads for two reasons: 1) it was highly recommended by a friend that lives in the area and 2) I wanted to catch up with my buddy Katherine who works there. It was the perfect meal to rejuvenate us after the long car ride. Super cute cafe surrounded by cacti, really cozy interior, fresh fun menu. I had the grilled chicken and eggplant sandwich with refrigerator pickles and watermelon gazpacho. I'm not sure what Peyton had but there was a fried egg on it and it looked delicious. Katherine's homemade cookies are also delish.

follow_me_foodie_foodheads
Photo from Follow Me Foodie

FX PhotoStudio Image

FX PhotoStudio Image


We were super excited to check out Alamo Drafthouse later that night. We saw Attack the Block (soo good!) and snacked on potato skins and sipped on beers and cocktails. I really wish we had a place like this in Baton Rouge. I would head out to the movies much more if I could be served cookies and milkshakes while enjoying a great independent film. Speaking of milkshakes, my one regret of the trip was not ordering the salted caramel milkshake. I was eyeballing it for a while. Somebody go try it and tell me about it in great detail!

Photo from Peyton

We had a great meal at Iron Cactus on 6th St. Great margaritas! I had the Elder Margarita which had St. Germain in it and a little bit of cinnamon. Lobster tacos....also delicious, sorry no picture. They were too yummy!!!

FX PhotoStudio Image

FX PhotoStudio Image


Finding a brunch spot on a Sunday on South Congress was a bit of a debacle. We ended up getting a table at Enoteca and it was so worth the wait. That cappuccino completely brought me back to life. We had perfectly poached eggs on foccacia bread with roasted tomatoes. I highly recommend this place for brunch, the menu was insane and they had a bunch of gorgeous pastries as well.

FX PhotoStudio Image

FX PhotoStudio Image

FX PhotoStudio Image

FX PhotoStudio Image

FX PhotoStudio Image

Next up was HopDaddy for a burger. Homemade buns.............need i say more. Can I just add that when you are a tourist visiting a new place- sitting at the bar in restaurants is kind of a must. The staff are much more inclined to talk to you about the food and drinks. Also, you never know what other fun knowledge they might drop on you. I had a great cocktail here too, I don't remember what it was called but it had ginger beer and lime with vodka, really refreshing and spicy!

hopdoddy

FX PhotoStudio Image

Best meal of the trip - Uchiko. Please go here people! Delicious bold Japanese food, I'm really not even sure of what we ate. We sat at the sushi bar and put our faith in the sushi chef. He feed us dish after dish..........I was not disappointed once. May I suggest the fried milk dessert??? Again, I'm not even sure what it was but pretty crazy delicious.

Uchiko_thelittledish
Photo from The Little Dish

FX PhotoStudio Image
Photo from Peyton

And last but not least.............. Monday morning on our way out of town we stopped at Gourdough's. We had to!!! Big fat donuts, please and thank you sir. I had Porky's (canadian bacon with cream cheese and pepper jelly) and boyfriend had the Flying Pig (it was loaded with bacon and maple syrup icing). This place is glutinous to say the least, but it's just one of those things...........try it!!! I'm getting so hungry just writing all this, off for a snack :) and ps. thanks for listening to my food rant 

FX PhotoStudio Image

FX PhotoStudio Image

FX PhotoStudio Image

10 comments:

leigh1711 said...

I can't believe you saw Attack the Block!!! I have been stalking that movie. Edgar Wright(Scott Pilgrim, Hot Fuzz, Shaun of the Dead Director) produced it and I will stalk whatever he is a part of. I am so glad you got to see it and have a relaxing weekend with amazing food. I love to see my friend get to indulge in the joys of life.

Waffle Garden said...

mmmmmm this made me hungry haha. the lobster taco sounds like the best thing to ever happen to a taco!

Feathers & Freckles said...

YUMM!! I always indulge on vacation, that's what it's for right? :D

I think I've heard of that doughnut place. All of these restaurants look/sound so hip and fun. I need to make a trip to Austin!

That pic of you with the cappuccino is GORGEOUS. You have the prettiest eyes.

Katie Maye said...

We were so excited that it was playing at this theater!! I don't know who he was but the main kid in it was awesome.

leigh1711 said...

I have to see it and I have to go back to austin!

Matt said...

I have been wanting to go to Austin with Ash for a while now.. Maybe we can make a long weekend out of it this fall. It doesn't seem like it takes too much convincing for you guys to want to bail out and head west.

Katie Maye said...

sounds like a plan

CFAULK82765 said...

Flying Pig (it was loaded with bacon and maple syrup icing). Is Peyton trying to re-live his childhood? I remember stories of bacon and maple syrup-Oh, and butter! Or did he feed that to the dog? I'm jealous nonetheless!

Katie Maye said...

thanks megan!

Katie Maye said...

hahahaha! something like that