Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Holiday Gifting: Edibles

0AA78247-C1F9-496F-BEDA-08273B4F6EB0

I like to take a more edible approach at holiday gift giving. I like to use this time as an opportunity to show off some new recipes, display my craftiness, maybe wow the boyfriend's parents (let them know that he's in good hands). The task of coming up with new gift ideas every year can be a little daunting. Yes, I much prefer to bake some yummy seasonal treats, make super cute labels, and assemble them all in a cute basket. Hopefully I will be able to share all of my favorite recipes with you (that is, if I'm not staying up till midnight 2 nights before Christmas to finish my baking endeavors). I really wanted to take a stab at canning this year, and since I've been obsessed with apples lately I decided to try my hand at apple butter. Get this.... you can make apple butter in a slow cooker! Aside from peeling and slicing apples all you have to do it let is sit...for about 10 hours. And I do have to give props to my new food processor. It has a slicing attachment that did all the slicing for me! Six pounds of apples sliced in five minutes, thank you food processor, thank you. Here is my adapted recipe for spiced apple butter.


58F1AEC7-81D4-41E2-B39C-413CDF69D8F0

6 1/2 pounds apples - peeled, cored and sliced
1 cup granulated sugar
1 cup light brown sugar, lightly packed
1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
3/4 cup spiced rum
1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract


1. Place the apples in a slow cooker. In a medium bowl, combine sugars, cinnamon, nutmeg cloves, ginger and salt. Pour the mixture over the apples, add rum and mix well.
2. Cook in slow cooker on low for about 10 hours, stirring occasionally, until the mixture is thickened and dark brown.
3. Uncover, stir in vanilla and continue cooking uncovered on low for about 2 hours.
4. Use an immersion blender or food processor to puree the apple butter until smooth.
5. Spoon the mixture into sterile containers, cover and refrigerate for up to two weeks or freeze. For canning instructions click here.
6. Serve on breads, muffins, pork chops or just eat it with a spoon.

Up next, jalapeno cheddar cookies. These are seriously addictive, so stay tuned!

apple_butter2.jpg

3B7EF11A-596B-4CCB-88C4-0C7DDA14A402

278B3767-0685-45AA-B62B-4335818656BB

3 comments:

Feathers & Freckles said...

APPLE BUTTER!!! Yes!!! Thanks for sharing this recipe, I absolutely love apple butter but it can get pricey in stores.

I think this is wonderful, I always love handmade gifts way more because you know someone put time, thought and energy into it. :)

Kristina Gulino said...

Such a great idea - homemade, and from the heart!

Kristina
Something 2 Write About

Annie said...

Oooohh this is such a cute (and yummy) idea...love it :)

Annie
The Other Side of Gray