Monday, January 30, 2012

Pho-tastic weekend....

Beef Noodle Pho and Bahn Mi


See what I did there....?
Can I just start out by saying thank you to the construction workers who decided to start ripping up concrete in front of my house at 7:30 am on Saturday. If any of you see them please tell them I'm sincerely grateful. It's not like I look forward to sleeping in on the weekends every other day of the week, it's not what I live for or anything...not at all.
In spite of my whole world being shattered by the early morning noise, I managed to have a pretty jam packed weekend. We made a day trip to New Orleans on Saturday and went to the Tet celebration at Mary Queen of Vietnam Church (Tet is the lunar new year). I'm a newcomer to Vietnamese cuisine (I've only had pho but really like it), so I was really excited to try some new dishes that I had never seen before. I arrived with an open mind and a hungry belly. Although I was thoroughly overwhelmed by menus that had zero English on them, I soon sat down with an array of delicious Vietnamese dishes in front of me. I will admit, I bought one dish just because i liked the color....see if you can guess which one :)


pho_fest_baimi
Bahn Mi booth


pho_fest_egg
Fertilized ducks eggs, I did not try this one but an adventurous friend did


Mystery Dessert, the only things I could identify were lychee and jello...? But is was pretty good


pho_fest_gamblers
There was some crazy gambling action going one


After getting completely stuffed we took a pretty sunset ferry across the river and headed to a beer gathering of sorts at a friend of a friend's house. This was more for the boys but it was fun to meet new lovely people and sip some fancy beers. We also got a ton of tips for our trip to Seattle and Portland, yay!!
Not to worry, I was able to sleep in a bit on Sunday, spend some time with my family and round out the weekend with what else but some etsy packaging (my Sunday ritual). Speaking of etsy.... (thanks for asking) my Curious Prints sale is still going on at Fab.com, it'll be up for another day or so.

nola_ferry






beer

6 comments:

Sarah said...

Mmm... Pho

Charity said...

Sounds like a very fun weekend. My sister just gave me her recipe for Vietnamese sandwiches and I am sooo excited to try them. Here's to adventures in cuisine!
xoxo Charity
ps--I am hosting a lovely giveaway, feel free to stop by!

Feathers & Freckles said...

Yum, good looking beers :) I love Arrogant Bastard Ale!!

I was only introduced to Pho last year, but I love it. I love how you can customize it however you want, and whenever I'm getting a cold I pick some up and it seriously ALWAYS makes me feel better.

Kristina Gulino said...

So fun!! I could never, ever, EVERRRRR attempt to eat Balut (the fertilized duck egg) after seeing it on Andrew Zimmern's Bizarre Foods! But your friend must have a stomach of steel! As for the jello-y dessert, I just had a drink like that the other day with lemon juice (the little dots are gelatin-covered basil seeds, which didn't taste anything like basil and were very fun to chew). I'm lovin' your adventures!! And that pink beer can is fantastic.

Kristina
Nook & Sea

Katie Maye said...

The green dessert was so good but the only weird thing it that it was served warm. I was really wishing it was ice cold, it would have been so much better. That pink beer was actually a limited edition beer from Rogue - Bacon Maple Donut beer!!!! Subject: [katiemaye] Re: katiemaye: Pho-tastic weekend....

Bella Pop said...

for a moment I was thinking mystery dessert = kiwi ;) fun pics! xoxo B